Usually I keep my house plants out of the reach of my dogs, but this winter, I had a couple on the floor in the basement so that they could get some sun through the glass door.
The dogs have been spending so much time indoors this winter because of the unusually cold and wet weather. When I’m at the office, I keep them in the basement where there is less stuff for them to get into, or so I thought. Well, it looks like Charlie went taste-testing. I found my papyrus plant looking severely chewed on…
Luckily, this plant was not toxic to the dogs, but for my dogs’ and plants’ sakes, this served as a good reminder to keep house plants out of the reach of my dogs.
House plants that are toxic to dogs
Plants that are commonly found in my house as potted plants or cut flowers (or I have seen for sale at garden stores as houseplants) are listed below. For a complete list of all plants (indoors and outdoors) that are bad for dogs, visit the ASPCA’s complete list of toxic and non-toxic plants.
- Anthurium (Anthurium scherzeranum)
- Arrow-head vine (Syngonium podophyllum)
- Asparagus fern (Asparagus densiflorus cv sprengeri)
- Calla lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica)
- Chandelier plant (Kalanchoe tubiflora)
- Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema modestrum)
- Corn plant (Dracaena fragrans)
- Daffodil (Narcissus)
- Dumbcane (Dieffenbachia amoena)
- Elephant’s ear (Alocasia spp.)
- English ivy (Hedera helix)
- Gardenia or Cape jasmine (Gardenia jasminoides)
- Gold dust dracaena (Dracaena surculosa)
- Good luck plant (Cordyline terminalis)
- Heart-leaf philodendron (Philodendron oxycardium)
- Hurricane plant (Monstera deliciosa)
- Jade plant
- Mother-in-law’s tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata)
- Parsley (Petroselinum crispum)
- Peace lily (Spathiphyllum)
- Pothos or Devil’s Ivy (Epipremnum aureum)
- Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta)
- Silver Jade (Crassula arborescens)
- Sweet William (Dianthus caryophyllus)
- Taro (Colocasia esculenta)
- Tulip (Tulipa spp)
Just because a plant isn’t listed above or by the ASPCA as toxic to a dog, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t call your vet. Some dogs may have allergies or sensitivities to specific plants. If you’re concerned, pick up the phone. You can also call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 – just be aware that a $65 consultation fee may be charged.
For a complete list of all plants (indoors and outdoors) that are bad for dogs, visit the ASPCA’s complete list of toxic and non-toxic plants.
Warning signs to keep an eye out for
If your dog eats a plant of yours, you may want to give your veterinarian a call just to make sure that he will be OK. Warning signs that something is wrong include, but may not be limited to,
- difficulty swallowing
- excessive drooling
- oral irritation
- loss of appetite
If you’re concerned at all, call your vet or take your dog immediately to seek treatment. Toxicity may depend on how much of the plant was eaten and a proper identification of the plant is important when seeking treatment.
But just to be safe and to keep your pet healthy and your indoor house plants looking nice, just keep them out of the reach of your dogs!